Managing the rollout of Workflows
To ensure that workflows provide the maximum positive benefit they should be rolled out in a systematic and controlled manner.
The default Workflows associated with the standard Self-Service Portal relate to Absence Administration, HR Record Modifications and Overtime submissions.
Workflows relating to the Recruitment and Staff Development modules are activated as part of the individual module rollout.
Checking Workflows before activation
Before activating the Workflow module check each workflow Process to confirm:
- It will trigger when and only when you require it to
- The Response Actions triggered meet your requirements
Default Workflow Processes are available for viewing via the Workflow > Processes, option
Each Process has a clear description defining its purpose.
Select each Process in turn and use the View or Edit buttons to check the Process configuration
Checking Workflow Processes
Check each Process is set to trigger when you require.
The When to Start option determines the circumstances that will cause the Process to review the relevant data table and Qualifying Query and potentially trigger .
- New or Updated Record (External), responds to data entries or changes via the Portal only
- New or Updated Record (Windows application), responds to data entries or changes via the Windows application only
- New or Updated Record (all sources), responds to data entries or changes via both the Windows application and Portal.
- Never (Not in Use) deactivates the individual process preventing it triggering
- Scheduled allows the results of the Qualifying Query to be checked when required by the Interval Diary Rule. Entries within the Qualifying Query may then trigger the Process response subject to other requirements of the Process settings
- Sub Process allows the Process to be called as a response to triggering of another process (advanced users)
- Deleted Record responds to the deletion of a Record
The Qualifying Query configuration will identify the specific data set that could trigger the Process. Review the filter criteria of a Qualifying Query to verify the relevant record entries will be selected.
Checking the Workflow Action
Pressing the Review button within each Process window opens the Process responses window. Select the Action you wish to check and press the Edit button to open the Action view.
To view and modify the recipients of Email Actions select the Email Setup tab. Use the Email Details tab to view and modify the Email Subject Line and contents
Action Performed By settings
As Workflow Process trigger requirements are met Actions will be triggered.
Actions configured to be Performed Automatically will execute immediately the Process trigger requirements are met.
Actions configure to be Performed by the Workbench will be held in the Workflow Workbench for a nominated application user to review before allowing the system to Perform.
It is advised that nominated application users check the Workbench at least once daily to check, Perform or Cancel all Actions accordingly.
Failure to administer Actions in the Workbench promptly will slow down information flow and may cause notifications and other Actions to be performed after they are required.
Select Workflow > Work Flow On/Off and Select Processing ACTIVE to activate your Workflows Module
Checking System Email Settings
Workflow Email notifications require that your systems Email settings are complete
Email settings are accessible at:
Home > System Setup > Housekeeping > System Definitions > Email Settings
Your ICT or Email service provider representatives will be able to advise of suitable settings to apply based on the Email solution your organisation utilises.
For more information on Email settings visit the General Settings page