When you create activity definitions, which you assign in employment history records, you can set up payroll elements as fixed payments or deductions, which can automatically appear in the working file. The payroll elements can include salary, first aid payments, and so on.
NOTE: if you do not use the Payroll module, and only use Personnel, you can use use the Description and other fields on the Allowances window to record the allowances. However, the primary purpose of this tab is to enable you to automatically set up recurring, fixed payroll elements in the payroll.
To automatically set up fixed payments or deductions in an activity definition:
- Create or edit an activity definition (click Personnel > Your Organisation > Activity, and click New, or select an activity and click Edit).
- Click the Allowances tab.
- Click New to set up a payroll element in the activity definition. The Allowances window is displayed.
- In Payment/Deduction, click … and select the payroll code. To set up a recurring salary payment, for example, select the payroll code for salary or basic pay. The description for the payroll code is displayed in the Description field as a default, but you can change it.
- In Status, select Payroll Element from the drop-down list. (If you use only the Personnel module, and do not use the Payroll module, you can select Allowable or Historical as a status.)
- In Value, type a value. If you select the salary code in step 3, type 0 as the value, because the salary payment for each pay period is typically calculated by using the payment/deduction settings for the payroll element.
- Click OK to save the details for the payroll element. The Allowances window remains open, to enable you to set up other payroll elements. Repeat steps 1 – 6 to set up other payroll elements.
- Click Close to close the Allowances window.