Before you run the year end:
- Check your software version number. When you enter your user ID and password to log in to Jane HR, the version number is displayed in the title bar of the Application Login window. Version 2.6 should be implemented after the last period end process has been completed, but you can upgrade your software sooner if you wish.
- Secure a backup for each payroll template.
Run the period end / year end process:
- Click Payroll > Functions > Period End Process. The Period End wizard is displayed and the current period is shown. Click the Run button. If you are in the final period of the year, a message informs you that an end-of-year process will also be performed. Click Yes to confirm, and the year end processing is automatically carried out in addition to the usual period end.
Before you process any payroll for the new year:
- Check the period end dates in the payroll templates have been correctly created for the new tax year. Click Payroll > Definitions > Module Setup > Template. Select the template and click Edit. Click the Period End Dates tab. Check the period end dates of the last period of the old and new tax year are correct, because these describe the start and end of the new tax year.
- Click the Periods tab and check the general ledger integration periods correctly cross-refer to the new payroll periods.
- Update the legislative information. You can either import the parameters or enter the new values by editing the appropriate fields in the Module Definitions window and the Template window.
IMPORTANT: You must check all the legislative parameters before you process any payroll for the new year. Refer to HMRC Rates and Thresholds for Employers for further information.
- Update the employee tax codes. The emergency tax code for 2013-14 is 944L. To change all employees with tax code 810L to 944L, click Payroll > Functions > Global Tax Code Update and adjust payroll code L by 134. Refer to Global Tax Code Update for more information.
To change an individual employee’s tax code, click HR Record > Payroll Details > Details and edit their PAYE and tax details on the NI & PAYE tab. Refer to NI & PAYE for more information.
To import P9 information from the government gateway, click Payroll > Functions > Government Gateway Imports. Refer to Government Gateway Imports for more information.
- Click Payroll > Functions > Reset Week/Month 1 Flag to reset the week/month 1 flag for all employees. D0 and NT tax codes carried forward should be operated on a cumulative basis, so you will need to clear their Period 1 Flag check box (week/month 1). Refer to Reset Week/Month 1 Flag for more information.
P14 / P35 return:
HMRC must receive your P14/P35 internet return by 19th May 2013.
- Before you create the return, check the tax district, tax reference and company details are recorded correctly in the system parameters. The tax reference should be in the format — 123/1234567, so that it includes the tax district number. Click Payroll > Module Setup > Module Definitions and edit the Tax District and Tax Reference fields on the References tab.
- Before you create the return, check the Namespace End of Year on the Module Definitions is set to https://www.govtalk.gov.uk/taxation/EOY/12-13/1
- Create and submit the P14/P35 Return. Refer to Create and submit P14/P35 annual return 2012-13 for full details.
You must give your employees P60s by 31st May 2013.
- By the 31st May 2013, you must give a P60 to every employee who is working for you on 5th April 2013. You do not need to give them to employees who have left before the 5th April 2013.
NOTE: Before you process any P60s, ensure the correct year ending date is set in the Year Ending field on the Gateway tab of the Module Definitions window (Payroll > Module Setup > Module Definitions > Gateway).