When you run a wizard to create a report, the Report Confirmation window enables you to choose how you want to display the data. In Report Output, you have three options: Grid View, Report View, and Export to File.
You use Export to File to save the data in a file, rather than display it on the screen.
To export the data to a file:
- In Report Output, click Export to File.The Export to File drop-down list can contain descriptions for a set of export templates. An export template defines the type of file you want to export the data to, the name of the file, and where it is.If there is a suitable export template in the drop-down list, select it. Go to step 11.If there are no export templates available, you must create one and then you can select it. Go to step 2.
- To set up an export template, click …. The Export Templates window is displayed. You use this window to create new templates, and to maintain existing templates.
- Click New to set up an export template. The Export Templates Maintenance window is displayed.
- In Description, type a description that identifies the template. It might be useful for the description to include the type of file you want to create. For example, type Excel Data, to indicate the export template is for data stored in a Microsoft Excel spreeadsheet.
- In Output Type, select one of the following types of files you want to save the data in:
- CSV Delimited
- Excel Spreadsheet
- XML Document
- In File to Create, type the location and name of the file you want to create. The folder must exist — it cannot be created for you. For example, to create a file called Employees in the temp folder on the C: drive, type the following:C:tempEmployeesAlternatively, instead of typing the location and file name, click …. The Save As window is displayed. Select the location for the file, type the name of the file in the File name field, and click Save. The Save As window closes and the location and name of the file is displayed in File to Create.
- Optional. In File to Load, you can type the location and file name of the file in which the data is saved. For example, if the export template is for an Excel spreadsheet and you specify the location and file name in this field, the file will automatically be displayed in Excel after the data is saved to the Excel file.
- Click OK to close the Export Templates Maintenance window.
- Click Close to close the Export Templates window.
- In Export to File, select an export template from the drop-down list.
- In the Report Confirmation window, click OK to generate the report and save the data in the file and location you specified.A message is displayed, to inform you that the report is being generated and you might have to wait a while for the data to be saved.If data is to be saved in an existing file, a message is displayed that asks you if you want to overwrite the file. Click Yes to replace the file.